Church History - Continued - WMCSBN

Go to content

Main menu:

Church History - Continued


In the nurturing years of the church, the school played a pivotal role in extending the Christian faith to others. This was evident by the large attendance at the English service. In Kuala Pilah, the worship service was conducted twice every month. In 1937 work among the young people in Seremban took the forefront when the Young People's Christian Union in Seremban was formed. Following that year, the church began to grow in number. During the World War II (1941-1945) preaching was suspended but worship continued. In 1946, Rev. Thevathasan wrote that there was 'Christian charity, a spirit of cooperation and teamwork and momentum had started to make Methodism stay and would gather enough momentum to be sure of self-support and self-propagation.' In that time Rev. J.W.A. Kadirgamar pastored both the Tamil and English congregations for a period of eight years.

After the War, works in the new villages in Mambau and Rasah started with the assistance of the Youth Fellowship and a full time worker, under the supervision of Rev. Abel Eklund, the first full-time pastor.

In 1957 the church started a Bible class for the British soldiers in Seremban. Financially, the church was well off. It paid $2,700 for pastoral support in that year and average attendance at the worship service was 100.

In 1959 membership increased to 206 (membership today is close to 400). In 1960, the church building was extended with a wing and basement to cope with increased membership and activities.

In 1961, the 1st Seremban Boys' Brigade Company was started with 20 boys from both the ACS and the Methodist Afternoon School, Seremban. That same year, the first local pastor cum principal of the ACS, Seremban, Rev. S.T. Peter Lim, was appointed.

In 1965, both the church and the school celebrated their 50th anniversary.

And in 1983, Bishop Denis C. Dutton broke ground for the planting of an outreach point at Taman Ujong, Seremban. This outreach point would become a full local conference, i.e. a local church, on 14th January 1991.

In 1993, the parsonage-cum-office opposite the church building on Jalan Lintang, Seremban, together with the ACS school field, was acquired by the state government for commercial development (Terminal 1 Shopping Complex). The parsonage moved to the building next to the Taman Ujong church that was purchased in 1985. The office moved to a rented premise in a shop-lot on Jalan Dato Lee Fong Yee in the heart of Seremban town. It was relocated to another building nearby before it finally moved into its own building at the present address in Taman Bukit Chedang. The ground floor is being used for the PBS ministry.

Back to content | Back to main menu